Specialized Technical Health Agency of the African Union, invites
qualified candidates to apply for a full scholarship to undertake the
full-time study in the Master of Science in Epidemiology degree
programme at the University of the Witwatersrand’s School of Public
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Field Epidemiology
- Infectious Diseases Epidemiology
- Public Health Informatics
- Biostatistics and
- Implementation Science.
degree programmes are open to candidates from a range of disciplines
including clinical and other health-related fields; statistics and other
quantitative fields, as well as demography and social sciences. The
scholarship will focus on candidates currently working with the National
Public Health Institutes in their respective countries.
Africa CDC was launched in January 2017 by the African Heads of State
and Government to ensure Africans have public health institutions
capable of mitigating against the social, economic, and security
dimensions of infectious disease threats. In supporting the African
Union Member States to establish and strengthen National Public Health
Institutes, the aim of the scholarship is to strengthen public health
workforce capacity within the Member States.
African Union MSc Scholarships 2019 Benefits:
Africa CDC will provide full scholarships for ten Masters students in
the 2019 academic year. The scholarship covers the following:
- The cost of one most direct return economy air ticket per year;
- Tuition fees which will be paid directly to the University;
- Basic medical and accident insurance;
- Monthly stipend to cover living expenses including accommodation;
- A limited allowance towards the costs of recommended learning materials (reference text books and necessary software);
- Limited support for the research project expenses and
- Limited support towards the cost of a laptop.
African Union MSc Scholarships 2019 Eligibility:
- Be a citizen of and resident in any of the 55 African Union Member States, and working with a National Public Health Institute
- Must be nominated by a National Public Health Institute of any of the 55 African Union Members States
- Have proof of admission to undertake the full time Masters programme at the University of Witwatersrand
a holder of a honours degree or equivalent in a relevant field, an
MBBCh or other health related degree, at the level of Upper Second Class
Honours or equivalent
- The degree must be from a reputable fully accredited University
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards, if any
able to commit to work in a National Public Health Institute in an
African Union Member State on completion of studies for at least three
- Applicants should be 35 years or younger by 31st August 2018
- Be proficient in English
- Meet the university programme’s requirements: http://www.wits.ac.za/publichealth/academic-programmes/postgraduate/master-of-science-in-epidemiology/.
How to Apply African Union MSc Scholarships 2019.
The application process is in two-fold.
1. a. Application for admission to the University of the Witwatersrand
Apply by completing a University of the Witwatersrand postgraduate application form online at: http://www.wits.ac.za/postgraduate/applications/
You can also go to: www.wits.ac.za/askwits for general application queries. An application fee of R200 is required for all applications.
Deadline for application for admission into the programme is 31 August 2018.
b. Application for university accommodation
Applicants should apply for university accommodation also. https://www.wits.ac.za/accommodation/applications/
Deadline for application for accommodation is 31 October 2018.
2. Scholarship application
The application for the scholarship must be done separately. Interested candidates should send the following:
- Completed application form (http://www.africacdc.org/scholarships )
- Recent passport-size photograph
curriculum vitae including a description of relevant research and work
experience and names and contacts of two referees
- Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts
- Certified copy of bio-data page of Passport or National Identity Card
of application to study in the MSc Programme at the University of the
Witwatersrand of the School of Public Health commencing in the 2019
- Completed application form and all other required documents (a-f above) MUST be sent by email to: email@example.com by 31 August 2018.
Two (2) sets of hard copies of the documents must also be sent by post to the address below: