Mitacs Elevate Fellowship Program for Canadian Postdoctoral Students 2018.
Elevate is a postdoctoral fellowship with a customized research
management training component. Fellows address complex challenges
- An exclusive research management curriculum for postdoctoral fellows in any discipline
- A minimum one-year research project (normally two years in duration) with a partner organization in need of high-level expertise
Partner Organization Business Case, developed to outline project
objectives, risks, and stakeholder success criteria, and ensure project
cohort, giving them cross-disciplinary networking and peer-learning
opportunities they might not have otherwise in their careers.
the two-year fellowship, Elevate fellows divide their time between
their partner organization project and university-based research with
their faculty supervisor.
Elevate is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and
international applicants. The fellow must be based at a university
located in the same province as the partner organization for the duration of the fellowship.
must be committed to the two-year fellowship, including the training
and development, when applying to Elevate. Replacement and/or substitute
fellows are not allowed.
- Postdoctoral fellows may apply for Mitacs Elevate fellowship if their date of graduation from a PhD program is no more than 5 years prior
to the proposed start date the research project. Fellows who have had a
break in their career due to military service, illness, or family leave
may be considered as exceptions and must be approved in advance of
proposal submission. If this situation applies to you and/or you have
any questions, please contact Mitacs at elevate(at)mitacs.ca.
- Successful candidates must have fulfilled all degree
requirements (e.g., successful defense, final deposit, and signoff of
dissertation) for their PhD at time of project start date which can be
no later than September 5, 2018.
- All fellows
who successfully enter into the Elevate program are responsible for
ensuring that they meet the PDF eligibility criteria at their host
institution and that they will hold a PDF status by the start date of
their fellowship (no later than September 5, 2018) and for the two-year duration of the Elevate program.
must not have been employed for more than six months in an R&D
position outside the university after receipt of their doctoral degree;
- Fellows must not have received an offer of employment from
the partner organization except an offer of this fellowship or
short-term employment of up to six months while awaiting a decision on
- If the application is not recommended for an
award, the candidate may not be eligible to apply again once he or she
has accumulated more than six months of industrial or partner
organization work. It is therefore recommended that candidates accept a
temporary contract only if necessary and that the period of the contract
be kept as short as possible.
- Fellows who have held a
Mitacs Accelerate award as a Masters, or PhD student are eligible to
apply. Applicants may also apply if they have been approved for no more
than 3 internship units of Accelerate funding (1 year equivalent)
support at the postdoctoral level to be completed before the
start of the Elevate fellowship. Postdoctoral fellows who have already
held a Mitacs Elevate award are not eligible to apply again to Elevate
or to apply afterwards to Accelerate.
- Fellows cannot apply to multiple Mitacs programs for the same period of time.
- $55,000 minimum annual stipend/salary (for fellowships awarded after April 1, 2018)
- Training curriculum valued at $7,500 per year
- Submission assistance, including application feedback, from Mitacs representatives
- Certificate of completion after receipt of their exit survey and final report submission
- Submit an Intent to Apply no later than January 24, 2018, at 5 p.m. PT (non-mandatory)
applicable, submit an Intern or Supervisor Conflict of Interest (COI)
Declaration. A declared conflict of interest must be submitted
to email@example.com no later than January 24, 2018, at 5 p.m. PT.
Please consult the Conflict of Interest section under Program
- Proposals with a not-for-profit partner must
seek partner and project eligibility approval before proceeding.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org a business development
representative to discuss the eligibility of an NFP organization before submission of the completed application package.
- All applications should be prepared using the most current template found on the website. We strongly encourage you to submit a draft copy of your proposal for a one-time pre-review
to email@example.com. Pre-reviews must be provided using the current
program application form and will be accepted no later than February 7, 2018, at 5 p.m. PT.
- Review the Writing Your Elevate Proposal Guide when you begin writing your proposal
- A completed application form
- A memorandum signed by all parties, including relevant university research office, submitted as a scanned PDF
- Applicant’s CV
- Proposed academic supervisor’s CV
- Three signed letters of support maximum, on letterhead:
- One (1) letter of support from the proposed academic supervisor
- One (1) letter of support from a former supervisor or person familiar with the fellow’s research expertise
(1) letter of support from an eligible partner organization on partner
organization letterhead that confirms the amount of the financial
- Any supplementary documents as applicable
submit the documents of your package as separate documents. Please do
not combine them all in one file. ZIP files recommended.
references would like to send their letters confidentially, they may
email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. All letters must be
received at Mitacs by the competition deadline.
have all the necessary documents ready, please submit them by email
to email@example.com. All applicants will receive a confirmation
email from Mitacs when a complete application has been received.