It’s no surprise that many successful key players in business started their careers in accounting jobs. It’s also no shock that most Chief Financial Officers of great corporations have an educational background in accounting. An accountant is absolutely positioned to become a CFO since he or she almost certainly has the preeminent understanding of what improves business and profits in a corporation.
It’s also worth getting cognizance that accounts are in recurrent short supply. Accounting Jobs are everywhere even in the current feeble economy. Also the take home cash (salary) for well trained accounts is encouraging. Yes, companies, firms, institutions, even worship centres will always need an accountant. Why? Yes, audits, taxes, bookkeeping will always and certainly need to be done. Also the field of accountancy has expanded due to a variety of financial scandals in recent years
Table of Contents
List Of Universities That Offer Accountancy / Accounting In Nigeria
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- University Of Lagos
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka.
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi
- University Of Uyo,
- Imo State University, Owerri
- University Of Port-Harcourt,
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University Of Abuja,Abuja
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi
- University Of Maiduguri,
- Rivers State University Of Science And Technology, Port Harcourt
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye
- Niger Delta University , Wilberforce Island
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State
- Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Plateau State University, Bokkos
- Abia State University, Uturu.
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina State
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology, Enugu
- Bauchi State University, Gadau, Bauchi State
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State
- Anambra State University, Uli
- Cross Rivers University Of Technology, Calabar
- Madonna University, Okija
- American University Of Nigeria , Yola
- University Of Mkar, Gboko
- Lead City University , Ibadan
- Caritas University, Amorji-Nike, Enugu
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Benin City
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ogun State
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin, Ondo State
- Western Delta University, Oghara, Delta State
- Evangel University, Akaeze, Ebonyi State
- Wellspring University, Irhihi/Ogbaneki, Benin City
Mode of Admission for Accounting/Accountancy
The general modes of admissions for Accounting/Accountancy into higher institution are;
- Through JAMB-UTME
- Through Direct entry (JAMB regulated)
- Through direct form sales from the institutions (applicable for part time basis)
Admission Requirement for Accounting/Accountancy
JAMB UTME Admission requirement
- JAMB UTME requires Five (5) SSCE credits in Mathematics, English Language, Economics and any other two relevant subjects preferably Government, Commerce or Accounting, Principles of Accounts.
- For NABTEB holders, other relevant subjects could be Commerce, Accounting or Principles of Accounts.
Special UTME Admission Requirements
UYO requires credit in Economics.
PHC does not accept commercial subjects except Financial Accounting or Business.
LAGOS requires five ‘O’ level credits to include English language, Mathematics, Economics and any other Science, Social Science or Arts subject.
PHC does not accept Office Practice and Secretarial Studies.
BIU accepts credit/merit in English language and Mathematics at TC II as ‘O’/level equivalent.
OOU requires ‘O’ level credits in any 3 of Accounting, Business Methods, Commerce, Economics, Statistics, Government and Geography. IRK/CRK, Yoruba and History.
PLSU and CALABAR accept Commerce in place of Economics.
SEE ALSO: ASUU Strike And Effects On Students
AUN same as in Finance
UNN requires Five O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics Economics and any other two relevant subjects. For NBC holders, the other two relevant subjects could be from any of Accounting, Principles of Accounts, Commerce, Office Practice and Secretarial Duties.
Five ‘O’ level credits which should include English Language, Mathematics, Economics plus any two other subjects from Government, Yoruba, Biology.
EVANGEL- Economics is not compulsory but accepts any three relevant subjects.
FED-WUKARI – Same as in Economics.
UTME: SUBJECTS REQUIREMENT:
OAU requires Principle of Account not Commerce
BSU requires Economics.
CALABAR and IGBINEDION accept Commerce in lieu of Economics.
CALABAR does not accept CRK.
OOU does not insist on Economics.
LAGOS accepts Economics, Mathematics and any Science, Social Science or Arts subject.
AUN same as in Finance.
Direct Entry (DE) Admission Requirement
Before you can secure admission to study accounting/accountancy through direct entry, you are required to posses two (2) Advanced ‘A’ Level passes chosen from Accounting, Economics, Business management, Geography and Government.
Different universities in Nigeria have divers waiver or special consideration in her direct entry admission requirements.
- NCE with passes at merit level in relevant subjects.
- Two ‘A’ level passes in Accounting or Economics and any one other subject.
- Foundation of professional examination such as ICAN, ACCA, ICMA
- merit pass in ABU Diploma in Accounting, Banking or Insurance.
ANSU accepts OND/HND LOWER CREDIT or equivalent in relevant disciplines.
BIU, ADSU, UNIZIK, ABSU, MADONNA and ANSU accept OND/NCE in the relevant fields. UNIZIK and ABSU also accept HND. UNIZIK and ANSU accept OND/HND with at least a lower credit pass.
RSUST accepts holders of the following qualifications for year II:-
- OND/ND, RSUST Diploma (Upper) in relevant fields or a Degree/HND not relevant to the field for admissions to 200 level;
- A Degree/HND relevant to the field for admissions to 300 level;
IMSU and PHC – No Direct Entry.
BAYERO accepts own Diploma in Accounting and Auditing & Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Auditing/Banking and Finance at Credits level.
UMUDIKE, ABSU and DELSU accept holders of the following qualifications:-
- Complete pass in the Intermediate ICAN Examination or equivalents; and
- Pass in final exams of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries (except UYO and DELSU) plus UTME requirements.
EKSU, DELSU & UYO accept OND/HND in relevant fields not below Upper Credit level. (CALABAR accepts HND at lower credit level plus UTME requirements. In addition, EKSU insists on ‘A’ level passes in Econs but does not accepts IJMB
UNIZIK does not accept Government or Geography. All Direct Entry candidates must satisfy UTME requirements.
- Candidates with National Diploma (OND) in Accounting with minimum of Upper Credit
- Advanced Level passes in Economics, Accounting, Business Management, plus Government and Geography or ICAN/ATS I, II and III.
UNIZIK and OOU require at least two ‘A’ level passes to include Accounting (or Economics for UNIZIK). UNIZIK and ESUTECH require that Direct Entry applicants possess UTME requirements.
- HND/OND/NCE in relevant fields
- The following qualifications with UTME requirement:
- Complete pass in the Intermediate ICAN examination or equivalents.
- Pass in final exams of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries.
- relevant recognized university Diploma.
LAGOS accept own Diploma in Accounting.
- NCE/ND/ND with passes at Merit level in relevant fields;
- AAT, Intermediate ACCA or ICAN or ATS final certificate provided such candidate possesses O’ level credit passes in English Language, Economics and Mathematics.
- OND/Recognised University Diploma at credit level.
- A/L passes in Accounting, Econs, Maths and Business Management.
- Credit in Accounts in lieu of Economics
- ND in relevant field not below lower credit
- NCE (Business Education).
IGBINEDION accepts ND (Credit) in related fields.
NDU – No Director Entry.
BSU accepts ND/NCE (Upper credit/Merit level) plus five ‘O’ level requirements to include Economics at one sitting.
OAU accepts OND in Accounting with minimum of upper credit. ICAN/ACCA examination at professional level or ATS (Stage III) examination of ICAN
UNIABUJA accepts ‘A’ level pass in Geology.
MADONNA accepts own Diploma in Account ing/Banking and Finance.
NASARAWA accepts ND/HND in relevant field not below lower credit; IJMB in relevant subject not below 10 point; NCE in Business Education
UYO accepts OND/HND in relevant fields. All Direct Entry candidates must satisfy UTME requirement.
OOU accepts own Diploma in related discipline.
AUN same as in Finance
UYO accepts OND/HND un relevant fields not below lower credit level. All Direct Entry candidates must satisfy UTME requirement.
WELSPRING accepts NCE/ND/HND at minimum of merit level in related courses, or it own Diploma or any other Diploma from a recognised institutions.
EVANGEL accepts two A’ level passes to include Economics or ND/NCE in addition to UTME requirements.
a) Candidates should posses at least two GCE (A’ level) passes or its equivalent in any of the following subject: Economics, Principles of Accounts, Marketing, Business Management, Geography, Government and Commerce plus UTME requirements.
b) Candidates with Diploma at upper credit in relevant field shall be considered for Direct Entry into year two (2) provided they satisfy the 0’level requirements.
c) Candidates with HND upper credit can be admitted into year three (3) and those with lower credit can be admitted into year 2 provided they satisfy the 0’level requirements
MCPHERSON accepts NCE with passes at merit level in relevant subjects, Foundation of professional examinations such as ICAN, ACCA, ICMA or OND/ND Upper Credit in relevant field.
Do you have any question or need more clarification? Put your question in the comments section below.